Environmental, Social and Governance
We believe that acting responsibly towards our stakeholders is essential to operating a productive and profitable business.
This is why we have integrated environmental, social and governance (ESG) matters into all aspects of how we conduct our operations. Our focus in these areas helps to ensure that our business model is sustainable and focused on the long-term.
OUR ESG PRIORITIES IN 2019
Demonstrating effective stewardship in the communities where we operate
- Develop and implement a stakeholder engagement plan to maintain strong and positive long-term relationships with our various stakeholders
- Support our employees to actively participate in volunteering activities that make a difference to the communities where we operate
Ensure the safety and engagement of our people
- Aim for zero serious safety incidents by implementing an effective safety culture across the business
- Meet or exceed all applicable labour laws and standards by introducing a new HR framework
Minimise the impact of our activities on the environment
- Achieve ISO 14001 certification to ensure we minimise how our operations negatively affect the environment, comply with applicable laws, regulations and continually improve our performance in this area
Conducting our business responsibly
- Develop and roll-out a new Code of Ethics to ensure that we conduct our business activities to the highest ethical standards and in accordance with appropriate legal and regulatory requirements.
At Ventient Energy we’re very proud to have a positive impact in helping reduce carbon emissions. Onshore wind represents an efficient low-cost method of renewable generation which can deliver benefits locally, nationally and internationally. It’s one of the fastest growing sources of generation in the world.
We intend to continue to increase our positive environmental impact as our portfolio grows and we’re further committed to minimising the environmental impact of our operations as we do so.
Recognising our efforts in this area, Ventient Energy retained its five-star rating and attained Sector Lead status with GRESB – the environmental, social and governance (ESG) benchmark for real estate and infrastructure investments across the world.
GRESB works in collaboration with industries to provide standardised and validated ESG data to the capital markets and Ventient Energy sustained a high profile within the GRESB reporting process ensuring we lead the companies within the Institute of International Finance portfolio.
Ventient Energy takes great pride in supporting the communities around our wind farm sites. For example, in the United Kingdom in an average year, we distribute a total of £1,500,000 in community funding, typically administered and distributed to projects approved through local charitable trusts and community organisations.
Some of the projects we’ve supported include improving home security for vulnerable residents, the provision of computers and software licenses for a community learning group and enhancements to public spaces and facilities in local communities surrounding our wind farms.
Landowners who host our projects are key contributors to our success and we work closely with them to ensure each wind farm is built upon a strong mutually beneficial relationship.
We believe that building strong partnerships with all stakeholders is good for our business. We actively listen to the concerns of the local communities in which we operate and are committed to a process of continuous engagement with all parties who have an interest in our activities.
We’re a local employer wherever possible and our wind farm sites employ regionally based staff and contractors to maintain each project.
In support of our efforts to create a culture of continual improvement, we’ve successfully attained the international quality standards ISO 9001 (Quality), ISO 14001 (Environment) and OHSAS 18001 (Health & Safety).
In recognition of our practices and achievements in helping staff and contractors get home safely at the end of the working day, Ventient Energy has recently achieved a Gold in the internationally-renowned RoSPA Health and Safety Awards.
in community funding each year
Ventient Energy is committed to the highest standards of corporate governance and the company’s board of directors is composed of expert professionals with a vast range of experience, including energy, finance, M&A, and governance. This ensures that high standards are set for the Company, its employees and officers with an aim to foster a culture of performance, transparency, and accountability.
Being a responsible business means maintaining fair and effective business practices. We’ve implemented strong governance practices to ensure that our business is conducted to the highest standards of honesty and integrity while complying with all legal and regulatory requirements. Our Code of Ethics stipulates the minimum ethical standards of conduct we expect from our employees, affiliates of the company as well as third party contractors providing services to the company. These standards include the following:
- ensure the health and safety of employees, contractors and guests
- create and maintain a tolerant workplace free from discrimination and harassment
- ensure a clean, safe and healthy environment in all practices
- know and comply with all laws and regulations applicable to your position
- ensure that all business transactions are properly authorized, that the books and records of the Company are complete and accurate and that the Company provides complete and accurate disclosure to its shareholders and government authorities
- avoid situations in which your personal interests conflict or appear to conflict with the interests of the Company
- protect the confidentiality of non-public information concerning the Company and its customers, contractors and shareholders
- not make promises, payments or authorise any gifts or anything of value on behalf of the Company, whether directly or indirectly, to government officials to obtain or retain business
- comply with all applicable Company policies, including those that bar personal or corporate political contributions intended to influence investment decisions by pension funds
- exhibit personal behaviour, both inside and outside of the workplace, which is consistent with and reinforces a positive public image of the Company.
Through our Whistleblowing procedure, Ventient Energy maintains a reporting hotline to report suspected unethical, illegal or unsafe behaviour. The reporting hotline can be accessed at wrs.expolink.co.uk/ventientenergy.