Asset Inspection Engineer
Mechanical Engineer (Reliability)
Full Time - Monday to Friday
Engineering, Project Planner, Asset Management, Commercial and Procurement Manager, Operational Analysts, Health and Safety and Service Providers.
About the company
Ventient currently employs around 60 people in Edinburgh, Madrid and Luxembourg and has a portfolio of over 2.5GW of installed capacity across 134 sites in Belgium, France, Germany, Portugal, Spain and the UK.
We believe in people, high performance, safety, innovation, and respect of the environment.
We offer a supportive, dynamic and team-focused environment for our people to develop their skills, while enjoying a rewarding professional career in renewable energy.
The Asset Inspection Engineer will act as an expert in completing inspections of wind turbines and their drive train components and support the delivery of safe, efficient, and reliable operation across the portfolio. You will be field based, working primarily across the UK fleet, but with occasional travel to European Ventient windfarms, spending approximately 80% of your time away from home. Your work will support the wider Technical Department and Asset Management teams, by providing expert support on the inspection of Wind Power Plant assets.
Health & Safety
- Work with Mechanical Engineers and Health, Safety, Quality and Environmental (HSQE) management to achieve the highest level of safety across the portfolio ensuring all relevant industry standards and guidelines are complied with.
- Draft Risk Assessments and Method Statements for upcoming inspections and submit OEM/ISP for review.
- In conjunction with the Mechanical Engineer (Reliability), respond to CMS alerts by completing the appropriate inspection and testing techniques, working to diagnose faults and ensure no unscheduled major component failures, including but not limited to the following inspection techniques:
- Borescope inspection of gearboxes, main bearings and occasionally generators.
- Lubrication sampling of gearboxes and main bearings
- Review of auxiliary systems such as cooling and lubrication.
- Insulation resistance testing of generators.
- Interpreting and classification of defects to relevant IEC standards, communicating findings from inspections verbally and through an iOS/Android application.
- Develop a good knowledge of the CMS systems installed across Ventient’s UK wind farms and act as the technical expert for OEM/ISP teams, providing training and support for CMS system fault finding and remedial works, as necessary.
- Embed best practice with regards to lubrication management and sampling within OEMs and Service Providers across the UK.
- Supporting the development and implementation of Drive Train related Performance Improvement projects.
- Support and in some cases lead, inspections of wind turbine structural and mechanical components, including the use of Non-destructive testing techniques, feeding results back to the engineering team to maximise availability across the UK portfolio.
- Support the Asset Management team in the completion of Asset Walkdowns, including foundation and life extension inspections.
Qualifications, training & professional memberships
- Clean drivers’ license
- GWO Working At Height and First Aid qualifications.
- Achieved or working towards Incorporated Engineer status (IEng) with the relevant Engineering Institution.
- Ability and experience of completing borescope inspections of gearboxes to a high standard.
- Strong understanding and demonstrable experience of working with Wind Power Plant and the associated subsystems and components is essential.
- Experience of climbing wind turbines and working as an AT or AE under the Wind Turbine Safety Rules.
- Demonstratable experience of working in a strict Health and Safety environment.
- Drafting Risk Assessments and Method Statements.
- Understanding of the failure modes associated with wind turbine components, with a particular focus on the gearbox.
- Knowledge and experience of diagnosing gear and bearing defects to the relevant IEC standard.
- Basic understanding of the function of lubrication within rotating components and understanding of lubrication best practice, including lubrication storage and sampling.
- Ability and experience of completing insulation resistance testing of generators.
- Experience of completing bearing and gear exchanges within wind turbines.
Skills & knowledge
- Attention to detail and drive for high-quality results.
- Continuous Improvement mindset.
- Good level of computing literacy and ability to use mobile phone applications.
- Comfortable with driving long distances.
Competencies & behaviours
- Adaptable and quick to adjust to new people, equipment and processes.
- Confident and articulate communicator who can explain technical problems to people of all levels of technical knowledge.
- Strong interpersonal skills including both verbal and written communication.
- Flexibility to work away from home during the week.
Ventient Energy is an equal opportunities employer. All applicants will be considered for employment and will not be discriminated against on any of the nine protected characteristics defined under The Equality Act 2010.