Asset Integrity Engineer
About the Company
Ventient Energy is a renewable energy group, currently focussed in onshore wind energy. We’re already one of the largest independent generators of onshore wind energy in Europe with 1.9GW of installed capacity across 103 wind farms in Belgium, France, Germany, Portugal, Spain and the United Kingdom, with plans to continue growing our portfolio of high-quality assets.
Ventient Energy is part of a portfolio of renewable companies who are owned by an Infrastructure Investment Fund, advised by JP Morgan Asset Management. We take a long-term outlook on the ownership, operation and growth of our company which is driven by the needs of our stakeholders.
At Ventient Energy, we work hard to optimise operational excellence, delivering strong financial results while ensuring the highest levels of health and safety performance.
Our company headquarters is in Edinburgh, where the majority of our staff are located. Staff who support our UK wind farm assets are located throughout the UK in regions within close proximity to the wind farms. Our current head count is approximately 50 people.
- Position Title: Asset Integrity Engineer
- Reporting To: Lead Mechanical Engineer
- Department: Technical
- Key Contacts: Technical Director, Asset Management, Commercial and Procurement Manager, Operational Analysts, Health and Safety, Manufacturers and Service providers
- Location: Edinburgh
- Direct Reports: N/A
- Role Type: Permanent
- Work Pattern: Full Time - Monday to Friday
The Asset Integrity Engineer will act as an expert with respect to mechanical and structural integrity and support the delivery of safe, efficient and reliable operation across the portfolio. You will work closely with the wider Technical Department and Asset Management team, to provide expert support on the integrity of Wind Power Plant assets.
- Work with Lead Mechanical Engineer and Health, Safety, Quality and Environmental (HSQE) management to achieve the highest level of safety across the portfolio ensuring all relevant industry standards and guidelines are complied with.
- Proactively lead the Engineering Life Extension work stream by working with internal and external parties to analyse and confirm that the design and condition of assets are satisfactory for safe extended operation.
- Lead the implementation of recommendations from each life extension project and ensure findings are used to inform O&M strategy, performance improvement, and spares and supply chain strategy.
- Develop, implement and lead a structural health programme for all wind energy assets, working to align structural health with asset life targets.
- Develop, implement and lead a wind turbine foundation monitoring strategy.
- Lead root cause of failure investigations for wind turbine component failures, working with the appropriate subcontractors to deliver clear recommendations and remedial actions required to ensure safe operations.
- Specify, lead and in some cases participate in asset inspection activities to identify any potential operational or health and safety issues.
- Specify and project manage remedial works to return assets to service.
- In conjunction with the Commercial and Procurement Manager and the Engineering team, specify replacement parts and services and support installation in conjunction with service providers and Asset Management.
- Identify and assess relevant contractors and work with the Commercial and Procurement Manager to negotiate scope of services and commercial terms. Manage contractors following contract completion.
- Play a key role in ensuring asset configuration control by conducting/assessing Engineering Change Requests and presenting to Senior Management for approval.
Qualifications, Training & Professional Memberships
- Masters degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent with demonstrable experience in the field of Mechanical Engineering.
- Chartership with IMechE.
- Strong understanding and demonstrable experience of working with Wind Power Plant and the associated mechanical subsystems and components is essential
- Knowledge and experience of completing Root Cause Analysis using multiple methodologies.
- Expert knowledge of mechanical inspection and testing techniques and analysis
- Strong commercial awareness
- Experience of managing contractors and delivering multiple projects simultaneously, to schedule and budget
- Knowledge and experience of Aeroelastic Modelling of wind turbines
- Knowledge and experience of Finite Element Modelling for both ultimate and fatigue loading analysis
- Understanding of the effect of different wind conditions on the loading of wind turbines.
- Experience of supporting asset operation in multiple countries is desirable.
- Self-starter who can navigate through uncertainty to deliver results
- Adaptable and quick to adjust to new people, equipment and processes
- Confident and articulate communicator who can explain complex engineering problems in non-technical language
- Effective team member who can support in the delivery of cross functional work scopes
- Good knowledge of industry best practice with respect to mechanical integrity
- High level of computing literacy is essential
- Strong interpersonal including both verbal and written communication skills are essential
- Excellent analytical skills and attention to detail, methodical mind with the ability to combine innovative thinking with a solutions-orientated approach
- Ability to make effective decisions in pressured situations