Asset Performance Engineer
About the Company
Ventient Energy Ltd, one of the UK’s largest generator of onshore wind energy, and the largest non-utility owner of onshore wind. With 34 wind farms located from Caithness to Cornwall, comprising 509 turbines and 690MW of installed capacity, Ventient Energy supplies the equivalent of 420,000 homes annually, offsetting 0.75 million tonnes of CO2 equivalent a year. The company was formed by combining the Zephyr portfolio of 15 wind farms with 19 wind farms that were formerly owned by Infinis, with the entire portfolio of wind farms now owned by institutional investors advised by JP Morgan Asset Management. The company Headquarters are in Edinburgh where most of its staff are located. Staff who support our wind farm assets are located throughout the UK in regions within close proximity to the wind farms. Current headcount is approximately 40 people.
- Position Title: Asset Performance Engineer
- Reporting To: Technical Director
- Department: Technical
- Key Contacts: Technical Director, Technical Manager, Asset Management, Commercial and Procurement Manager, Operational Analysts, Health and Safety, manufacturers and service providers
- Location: Edinburgh
- Direct Reports: Technical Director
- Role Type: Permanent
- Work Pattern: Full Time - Monday to Friday
Responsible for developing, implementing and driving the business engineering analysis function to improve portfolio availability and power performance whilst maintaining excellent safety standards and managing costs. The Asset Performance Engineer will also play a critical role in delivery the continuous long-term improvement plans and cost optimisation efforts.
- Work with the Technical Director to develop a long-term strategy for identifying asset under performance through analysis, supporting the investigation of issues and confirming implemented remedial actions have been successful.
- Provide guidance and support to the Control Centre Operational Analysts imparting best practice and novel analytical techniques.
- Develop procedures for the ongoing tracking and trending of KPIs, driving automation development and working with the wider Technical Department to produce reporting dashboards.
- Play a key role in the long-term performance improvement workstream through the following:
- Drive the development of innovative performance improvement initiatives based on industry best practice and experience.
- Model and trial site specific performance improvement initiatives for validation and roll out.
- Present costed options for performance improvement to the Operations sub-committee of the Board, via the Technical Director, for Board approval.
- Manage the delivery of approved performance improvement initiatives.
- Undertake the measurement and analysis of improvement initiatives, utilising LIDAR assets where applicable, and confirming achieved performance uplift.
- Support the Engineering Life Extension workstream by working with internal and external parties to analyse and confirm that the design and condition of assets are satisfactory for safe extended operation.
- Support the wider engineering team in fault / failure Root Cause Analysis (RCA) investigations by providing expert analytical input.
- Maintain good working relationships with the Asset Management team and other O&M contractors throughout the lifetime of the assets.
- Support the due diligence process for potential acquisitions.
Qualifications, Training & Professional Memberships:
- Masters degree in engineering, physics, mathematics, data science of similar technical discipline with demonstrable experience of wind power plant analysis
Preferred Knowledge and Experience:
- Strong understanding and demonstrable experience of wind power plant operational analysis
- Knowledge and experience of wind turbine power performance analysis and related IEC standards
- Experience of working with with higher level scientific tools with Python or Matlab being highly desirable
- Knowledge of wind power plant SCADA systems and data interfaces
- Knowledge and experience of SQL and Power BI is desirable
- Knowledge of ground and nacelle based LIDAR systems and their application for performance measurement
- Knowledge of wind industry contractual performance guarantees
- Strong commercial awareness
- Experience of working in the Wind Industry essential
- Excellent analytical skills and attention to detail, methodical mind with the ability to combine innovative thinking with a solutions-orientated approach
- Excellent mathematical ability
- High level of computing literacy is essential
- Confident team member who is motivated to work on their own initiative.
- Strong interpersonal including both verbal and written communication skills are essential
- Ability to manage multiple projects to programme and budget
- Ability to make effective decisions in pressured situations