C&I and SCADA Engineer
Head of EAM, C&I, SCADA & Business Analysis
Full Time - Monday to Friday
Engineering team, IT, Asset Management, Control Centre
About the company
Ventient currently employs around 60 people in Edinburgh, Madrid and Luxembourg and has a portfolio of over 2.5GW of installed capacity across 134 sites in Belgium, France, Germany, Portugal, Spain and the UK.
We believe in people, high performance, safety, innovation, and respect of the environment.
We offer a supportive, dynamic and team-focused environment for our people to develop their skills, while enjoying a rewarding professional career in renewable energy.
The C&I and SCADA Engineer will act as the Technical Expert for SCADA and Instrumentation & Control (Automation) at Ventient UK. The role will be part of a specialized team responsible for developing and delivering operational system solutions that will optimize assets operation and improve wind farm production. You will work closely with Electrical Engineering Team, Asset Management Team and 3rd party contractors to support the delivery of safe, efficient, and reliable substation automation solutions across the portfolio.
Automation & Continuous Improvement
- Development of automation systems to wind farm substations of Ventient portfolio.
- Ensure the correct operation of the automation systems, resolution, and prevention of potential problems.
- Development of solutions that allow operational improvements.
- Working in collaboration with the Electrical Engineering team manage the operation, ongoing maintenance, and improvement of substation monitoring and control systems.
- Develop and manage interconnection between instrumentation and control and SCADA systems.
- Manage SCADA system development and maintenance.
- Undertake reliability assessments of C&I and SCADA systems
- Manage the integration of Balance of Plant and wind turbine C&I and SCADA systems in the Ventient Energy platform
- Manage wind turbine control systems and data interfaces working with wind turbine OEMs and independent service providers to ensure maximum availability and functionality.
- Manage and ensure maximum availability of grid point control systems for wind farms under the National Grid Balancing Mechanism or registered under the Optional Downward Flexibility (ODFM) management scheme.
- Working with Procurement, establish and manage critical C&I spares holding
PII and Repowering
- Support the Engineering team with the development and implementation of Performance Improvement Initiatives (PII) to contribute to the delivery of top quartile lifetime performance (TQLP).
- Support the implementation of organic growth aspirations with repowering, overpowering, and co-location of other forms of generation or energy storage
Qualifications, training & professional memberships
- Degree in Engineering or equivalent
- Driving license (required)
- At least 3-5 years in a similar role
- Strong understanding and demonstrable experience of working with automation systems (preferably with Omron and Schneider PLC systems).
- Knowledge of electrical Low and Medium Voltage circuit analysis and troubleshooting.
- Demonstrable experience of automation programming languages like Ladder, STL and FBD.
- Strong knowledge of Modbus TCP/IP, Omron FINS and Profibus communication protocols.
- Knowledge of OPC DA and OPC UA communication protocols.
- Understanding and demonstrable experience of working with SCADA systems and communication protocols common to the Wind and Power Generation Industries.
- Knowledge and experience of developing HMI systems.
- Onshore wind energy experience
Skills & knowledge
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- High level of computing literacy is essential.
- Fluency in Portuguese (desirable)
Competencies & behaviours
- Self-assured and effective Project Manager, with an ability to proactively identify and mitigate project risks.
- Dynamic, proactive, methodical, and organized.
- Excellent analytical skills and attention to detail, methodical mind with the ability to combine innovative thinking with a solutions-oriented approach
Ventient Energy is an equal opportunities employer. All applicants will be considered for employment and will not be discriminated against on any of the nine protected characteristics defined under The Equality Act 2010.