London / Edinburgh
Head of Energy, Regulatory & Related Market Insights
Full Time - Monday to Friday
Commercial Team, Finance, Business Development, Procurement, Operations, 3rd Party Offtakers and Advisors
About the company
Ventient currently employs around 60 people in Edinburgh, Madrid and Luxembourg and has a portfolio of over 2.5GW of installed capacity across 134 sites in Belgium, France, Germany, Portugal, Spain and the UK.
We believe in people, high performance, safety, innovation, and respect of the environment.
We offer a supportive, dynamic and team-focused environment for our people to develop their skills, while enjoying a rewarding professional career in renewable energy.
The Energy Markets team are responsible for optimising and managing risk for Ventient’s pan European wind portfolio through structured power products. In addition to de-risking Ventient’s market exposure, the Energy Markets team maintain strong regulatory and related oversight across our active markets, support business development, and advise the wider Ventient business in relation to their focus areas.
The team are responsible for obtaining the best commercial arrangements for Ventient together with full compliance of our obligations as a Pan-European renewable energy generator. This is a new role in a growing team that is key to Ventient’s long term strategy.
The purpose of this role will be to:
- Perform analysis on energy markets, regulation and related risk and opportunities team within Ventient
- Maintain Ventient portfolio wide performance and risk monitoring dashboards
- Maintaining existing commercial databases and consistently look to improve
- Support and lead in regulatory and compliance activities within the Commercial team
Portfolio Optimisation and Risk Management
- Support analysis of traded positions, forward markets and underlying fundamentals through ownership of monitoring dashboards
- Support quantification of market risk exposure across entire Ventient portfolio through ownership of monitoring dashboards
- Maintain a Portfolio wide register of PPA contract terms and hedging action timelines
- Support the maintenance of existing commercial databases and in-house applications
Regulation and Operations
- Lead all obligations with all relevant industry bodies including: OFGEM, ELEXON, BEIS, CRC, REMIT
- Carry out regular research to ensure that Ventient management are fully informed of new and changes to existing regulatory requirements
- Lead any OFGEM related inspections including asset audits ensuring process is followed and completed within the required timescales
- Lead the monthly Renewable Obligation Certificate (ROC) claiming and transfer process ensuring 100% accuracy to the required timescales
- Lead in the management of export/import energy metering contracts working with Asset Management to ensure metering exchanges are successfully completed in the required timescales
- Support in the negotiation of supply and MOP DC/DA contracts
- Perform analysis to inform PPA origination activities
- Support the negotiating and closing of PPA contracts
Qualifications, training & professional memberships
- Degree qualified or equivalent
- Background in mathematics, economics, engineering or similar
- High numerical and analytical ability
- 1-4+ years professional experience working in at least one European energy market
- Front office experience
- Previous employment with an IPP, Renewable Asset Manager, Utility, or Energy Consulting
- Knowledge of Energy Risk metrics including VaR, PaR etc.
- Fluency in a 2nd European language (e.g. Spanish) is a plus but not essential
Skills & knowledge
- Excellent analytical skills
- Ability to deliver complex analysis in a manner that is comprehendible to management
- Organised and methodical approach to task delivery
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to manage several projects and high workloads with demanding timescales
- Excel, VBA, SQL & PowerPoint
- Demonstrable problem-solving skills with software analytics.
- Data Visualization software (e.g. PowerBI, Tableau)
- Programming languages (R, C++, Python)
Competencies & behaviours
- Analytical mindset
- Strong market knowledge
- Quick and insightful problem-solving ability
- Ability to communicate across many different disciples internally
- Experience in working as part of a multi-discipline team showing the ability to communicate project requirements and outcomes.
Ventient Energy is an equal opportunities employer. All applicants will be considered for employment and will not be discriminated against on any of the nine protected characteristics defined under The Equality Act 2010.