Commercial Lease & Planning Manager
About the Company
Ventient Energy is a renewable energy group, currently focussed in onshore wind energy. We’re already one of the largest independent generators of onshore wind energy in Europe with 1.9GW of installed capacity across 103 wind farms in Belgium, France, Germany, Portugal, Spain and the United Kingdom, with plans to continue growing our portfolio of high-quality assets.
Ventient Energy is part of a portfolio of renewable companies who are owned by an Infrastructure Investment Fund, advised by JP Morgan Asset Management. We take a long-term outlook on the ownership, operation and growth of our company which is driven by the needs of our stakeholders.
At Ventient Energy, we work hard to optimise operational excellence, delivering strong financial results while ensuring the highest levels of health and safety performance.
Our company headquarters is in Edinburgh, where the majority of our staff are located. Staff who support our UK wind farm assets are located throughout the UK in regions within close proximity to the wind farms. Our current head count is approximately 50 people.
- Position Title: Commercial Lease & Planning Manager
- Reporting To: COO
- Department: Asset Management
- Key Contacts: Senior Management Team, Legal Team, Engineering, Commercial & Procurement Manager, Brand & Stakeholder Manager, Asset Management
- Location: Edinburgh
- Direct Reports: N/A
- Role Type: Permanent
- Work Pattern: Full Time - Monday to Friday
Responsible to leading Ventient’s commercial lease and planning activities, securing extensions for existing wind farms and developing options for re-powering. Initial focus will predominantly be in the UK, with some opportunities to explore in continental Europe.
- Lead Ventient’s commercial activities in extending the operational life of our wind farms, managing a comprehensive programme securing extensions to operational leases and planning permissions. Develop detailed action plan taking into account current leases and permissions and the commercial priorities.
- Lead negotiations with landowners and land agents to secure extension to existing leases, including where appropriate, options to repower the existing wind farms.
- Develop and implement a programme for securing extensions to existing planning permissions, managing the relevant contractors to deliver a successful and efficient programme.
- Develop EIA Scoping strategy for Ventient. Project Manage EIA Scoping reviews with contractors, acting as the Ventient interface to finalise EIA requirements for planning applications.
- Work with Brand & Stakeholder Manager and asset management team on community support activities, engagement with local community etc. to support planning applications. Oversee communications plan to help demonstrate the value of planning extensions to the local community.
- Work with Head of Legal to develop resourcing plan to support negotiation of commercial and property agreements.
- Interaction with Ventient’s Engineering team to understand the work that has been done to support the safety and operational integrity of the wind farms, and how this supports the aim to extend the operating life of the wind farms.
- Lead review of Repowering Options. Co-ordinate necessary project work to allow for detailed review of project economics and establish set of recommendations for repowering versus continued life extension.
- Become initial point of contact to review potential development sites/portfolios that may arise through Ventient’s M&A activities, and support Business Development team to help evaluate potential valuations and areas for upside.
- Review current obligations around current Escrow Accounts, Letters of Credit, deposit accounts etc. and lead appropriate negotiations to optimise commercial solutions for Ventient.
- Project manage decommissioning reviews of relevant assets.
- Negotiation of other commercial agreements, providing support to the Procurement & Commercial Manager in negotiating other agreements for Ventient.
- Experience of dealing with planning applications for onshore wind projects in the UK
- Significant experience in negotiating leases for onshore wind farms
- Demonstrable experience of project management
- Demonstrable experience of managing and liaising with third party contractors
- Ability to think strategically and work cross functionally in a professional environment
- Strong commercial and financial understanding.
- Persuasive communication and influencing skills at all levels
- Exemplary verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent relationship building skills
- High numerical and analytical ability
- Strong and experienced user of Excel or project management tools
- High level of motivation, flexibility and conscientiousness with the ability to work in a constantly changing environment
Ventient Energy is an equal opportunities employer. All applicants will be considered for employment and will not be discriminated against on any of the nine protected characteristics defined under The Equality Act 2010.