Director of Asset Management
About the Company
Ventient Energy Ltd, one of the UK’s largest generators of onshore wind energy. With 34 wind farms located from Caithness to Cornwall, comprising 509 turbines and 690MW of installed capacity, Ventient Energy supplies the equivalent of 420,000 homes annually, offsetting 0.75 million tonnes of CO2 equivalent a year. The company was formed in 2017 following a merger of two businesses and is now owned by institutional investors advised by JP Morgan Asset Management. Ventient Energy are headquartered in Edinburgh where most staff are located. Staff who support our wind farm assets are distributed throughout the UK in regions within close proximity to the wind farms. Current headcount is approximately 43 people. We have a broad range of wind farms, ranging from one to 25 years old. Managing this diverse portfolio presents significant challenges and opportunities for the Director of Asset Management to show industry leadership in operational excellence.
- Position Title: Director of Asset Management
- Reporting To: COO
- Department: Asset Management
- Key Contacts: COO, Technical Director, AMT, Contractors
- Location: Edinburgh
- Direct Reports: Three direct reports, leading a team of 11
- Role Type: Permanent
- Work Pattern: Full Time – Monday to Friday
The Director of Asset Management will drive and manage the operational aspects of the portfolio, being responsible for generation performance, availability and operational expenditure. The position provides leadership for improving the operational performance and managing the Regional Asset Managers to improve performance in generation, health, safety and environmental management as well as local stakeholder engagement. By engaging with contractors and service providers at the highest level and representing the interests of Ventient Energy in commercial and contractual engagements the Director will deliver operational excellence across the fleet.
The Director will lead the Asset Management team which consists of three Regional Asset Managers and eight Asset Managers. We are strongly focussed on maximising the performance of the portfolio and the Director will assist in suggesting and deploying initiatives to reduce downtime and improve turbine performance, working closely with the Technical Director to develop these initiatives. The Asset Management team are key to the successful delivery of our strategic objectives . This role reports directly to the COO and forms part of Ventient’s senior management team.
Ideally the role is based in Edinburgh, but Ventient would consider the role being home based for an exceptional candidate.
- The current asset management team has 11 people across the UK (remote working). The role will require someone with significant wind energy experience, ideally with a track record of leading a team delivering best in class asset management services for a significant portfolio of renewable energy assets.
- Managing a team of O&M professionals, developing their technical, operational and commercial expertise to drive performance improvements and manage operational risks.
- Develop the Asset Management team to enable it grow if Ventient’s portfolio increases.
- Lead Ventient’s key stakeholder relationships with Turbine Manufacturers, O&M providers, Landowners and Community Funds.
- Working with colleagues to represent Ventient at the Board’s operational committee, demonstrating leadership in asset management and recommendations for further improvement. Provide due diligence expertise to help support the growth of Ventient Energy’s portfolio.
- Working with the COO, develop an asset management plan to further optimise the value of the assets under management, including the potential lifetime extension and replanting.
- Lead operational performance and reporting of the wind farm portfolio, driving KPI performance to improve shareholder returns.
- Management of operational switching of both HV and LV systems to ensure the efficient operation of the wind assets in a safe and timely manner.
- Working closely with the Technical Director to deliver innovative and engineering solutions to achieve life extension targets and improve portfolio performance.
- Ensure the implementation of suitable and robust procedures for operations to help maintain ISO accreditations and improvements in external audit assessments.
- Working with the HSE manager, deliver continual improvements in the HSE performance of the operational assets.
- Work with the Procurement & Commercial Manager to ensure delivery against O&M contracts and provide recommendations for improvements to new contracts.
Finance and reporting
- Overall responsibility for the capital expenditure programme and operational budget for all windfarms.
- Monthly management reports on the operational performance of the wind farms, including the development and implementation of new KPIs.
- Experience in managing a portfolio of onshore wind farms.
- Experience of managing a remote team. Comfortable with leading and growing a team, setting up structures to develop and grow whilst retaining culture.
- Demonstrable success in managing relationships and driving performance improvements and managing costs from outsourced services.
- Knowledge of information documentation, monitoring and reporting industry best practice.
- Track record of executing asset management strategies.
- Broad understanding of legal, technical and commercial issues and risks related to energy projects.
Skills & Knowledge:
- Good written and verbal communication in a clear, concise and open manner at all levels.
- Good scheduling and planning skills to ensure actions/tasks are performed and completed in a timely manner. Strong commercial understanding, with a track record for managing a large portfolio and improving financial performance.
- Previous experience of the operation and maintenance of HV/LV electrical plant including the ability to provide supporting and coaching of the asset management team.
- Proven ability to succinctly explain and communicate complex technical and commercial issues.
- Strong people skills, able to inspire, influence and enthuse staff. Capable of coaching and mentoring.
- Takes responsibility for own actions, sets high standards for performance and shows determination to meet goals.
How to apply
If you are interested in applying for this position, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your CV.