Director of Commercial Energy Markets & Regulation
About the Company
Ventient Energy is a renewable energy group, currently focussed in onshore wind energy. We’re already one of the largest independent generators of onshore wind energy in Europe with 1.9GW of installed capacity across 103 wind farms in Belgium, France, Germany, Portugal, Spain and the United Kingdom, with plans to continue growing our portfolio of high-quality assets.
Ventient Energy is part of a portfolio of renewable companies who are owned by an Infrastructure Investment Fund, advised by JP Morgan Asset Management. We take a long-term outlook on the ownership, operation and growth of our company which is driven by the needs of our stakeholders.
At Ventient Energy, we work hard to optimise operational excellence, delivering strong financial results while ensuring the highest levels of health and safety performance.
Our company headquarters is in Edinburgh, where the majority of our staff are located. Staff who support our UK wind farm assets are located throughout the UK in regions within close proximity to the wind farms. Our current head count is approximately 50 people.
- Position Title: Director of Commercial Energy Markets & Regulation
- Reporting To: CEO
- Department: Commercial
- Key Contacts: COO, CFO, Procurement & Commercial Manager, Legal team, Business Development team, Finance
- Location: Edinburgh
- Direct Reports: Commercial Team (2)
- Role Type: Permanent
- Work Pattern: Full time - Monday to Friday
Leading the management of all key risk and opportunity evaluation and decision making, in support of the CEO and where appropriate the Senior Management Team (SMT), this role will be a member of the SMT. In relation to energy sales pricing, terms, strategy and executing as applicable to current portfolio and the business development.
Leading the energy markets, regulation and related risk and opportunities team, which is responsible for the energy and regulatory risk exposure of Ventient Energy. This role will become further responsible with business development for ensuring continuity of policy, insights and execution in business development as well as existing assets under management.
This role will report into the CEO or other as may be subsequently nominated.
- Provide management and leadership to the existing team of the energy markets, regulation and related market risks and opportunity, including their development for targeted Value at Risk (VAR) outcomes
- Formulation and execution of strategy in relation to current and future positioning of the Company relating to energy markets, future regulation and related matters
- Complete execution of all energy sales arrangements, including current and future structures as they exist and will be contemplated, where appropriate working with other team members (legal and contractual) for execution
- Management of route to market for all power sales
- Provide advice to business development team and execution of strategy, pricing curves, commercial input in relation to market risk and opportunity to the business development team
- Coordinate with and domain advice to finance team in order to ensure risk register, financial analysis, portfolio valuation and related are up to date and risk and opportunity mitigation work is accurate, consistent across the business
- Retention of and supporting the efficient use of third parties who have responsibility for completing analysis to support the execution of team responsibilities
- Formulation and execution of regulatory and related market strategy across the portfolio and business development territories in support of consistent and up-to-date insight for the business development team decisions for the business
- Support to the planning and related personnel where team insight may be required in support of decision making
- Provision of necessary insight to support CEO decision making, including provision of highly professional, succinct, clear and instructive risk and opportunity analysis in addition to strategy, scenario and decision making recommendations
- Attendance at SMT meetings and where required, Board and IIF meetings
- Interaction with sister company IIF business where commercial and regulatory markets information will be supportive to their or our decision making
- Regular risk and opportunity guidance to the business in relation to the area of energy markets, regulation and related matters
- Ensuring fulfilment of Ventient’s Finance Facility obligations related to PPA’s
- Evaluation and recommendation on potential products to help manage wind risk
- Optimisation of Ancillary Revenue Sales
- Ensure fulfilment of Renewable Obligation Certificate claim and transfer process
- Ensuring compliance with relevant Balancing and Settlement Code requirements
- Review of opportunities for Energy Storage and complimentary technologies that could help improve the NAV of Ventient’s existing assets
- Investment insight and techniques
- Energy generation agreements, PPA and other
- International, across European energy markets; including ideally all Ventient current markets; UK and Iberia at a minimum
- Understanding of European market risk profiles
- Comfort with regulatory market risk exposure, rationalisation
- Levering third parties for maximum risk mitigation and value add
- Ability to think strategically and work cross functionally in a professional environment
- Strong commercial and financial understanding
- Persuasive and effective communication and influencing skills at all levels
- High numerical and analytical ability
- High level of motivation, flexibility and conscientiousness with the ability to work in a constantly changing environment
Ventient Energy is an equal opportunities employer. All applicants will be considered for employment and will not be discriminated against on any of the nine protected characteristics defined under The Equality Act 2010.