About the Company
Ventient Energy Ltd, one of the UK’s largest generator of onshore wind energy, and the largest non-utility owner of onshore wind. With 34 wind farms located from Caithness to Cornwall, comprising 509 turbines and 690MW of installed capacity, Ventient Energy supplies the equivalent of 420,000 homes annually, offsetting 0.75 million tonnes of CO2 equivalent a year. The company was formed by combining the Zephyr portfolio of 15 wind farms with 19 wind farms that were formerly owned by Infinis, with the entire portfolio of wind farms now owned by institutional investors advised by JP Morgan Asset Management. The company Headquarters are in Edinburgh where most of its staff are located. Staff who support our wind farm assets are located throughout the UK in regions within close proximity to the wind farms. Current headcount is approximately 42 people.
- Position Title: Financial Controller
- Reporting To: CFO
- Department: Finance
- Key Contacts: CEO, COO, Finance Team, Asset Management, Auditors, Board
- Location: Edinburgh
- Direct Reports: Accountants, Management Reporting, Accounts Assistants
- Role Type: Permanent
- Work Pattern: Full Time - Monday to Friday
Leading the Accounts team, the Financial Controller is accountable for the accounting operations of the group, including financial and management reporting, optimisation of systems and implementing a comprehensive set of controls to mitigate risk and ensure accuracy of reporting.
Although currently UK based, this role may expand to cover European entities.
- Manage all aspects of group statutory accounting in accordance, including the consolidation of over 50 Group companies
- Preparation of annual and semi-annual financial reports, including balance sheet, cashflow and P&L, both in the UK and potentially for European entities
- Maintain all records, registers and books of accounts covering all revenue, expenditure, assets and liabilities
- Partner with the Business leads to develop and provide monthly management reporting
- Ensure all statutory tax obligations are met
- Responsible for preparation of the annual budget for the group on, including overseeing and leading the annual planning process for the business
- Manage all inter-company accounting requirements
- Maintain an awareness of, and implement, latest accounting standards and /or legislative changes under IFRS and/or European local GAAP.
- Support the Audit Committee with technical papers, updates and progress throughout the year
Control and Risks:
- Review and develop a “Financial Control Framework” covering controls, policies and processes, ensuring a robust environment as the business continues to grow, including the mitigation of business risks
- Champion the governance agenda and lead in establishing and maintaining best practice accounting processes and controls across the group
- Leading all finance accounting system upgrades and managing the projects thereon
- Key contact for external advisors including auditors, tax advisors, etc.
- Manage a team of 5 individuals.
Qualifications, Training & Professional Memberships:
- ICAS qualified
- Proven ability to deliver high quality group and individual financial statements
- Excellent technical knowledge of statutory accounting, taxation and compliance
- Experience in group consolidation and inter-company accounting
- Experience in implementing robust financial controls, processes and procedures
- Excellent staff management and development skills
- Good IT skills, especially in relation to Microsoft applications and Excel in particular
- Strong inter-personal skills
- Proven experience within a group head-office function
- Sector experience in Renewable Energy preferable
- Experience of consolidating and managing a multiple entity complex group
- Experience of leading process change and efficiency improvements
- Knowledge of SUN or similar accounting packages beneficial