Legal Manager UK
Head of Legal
Full Time - Monday to Friday
Ventient Executive Committee, JP Morgan Asset Management, External Stakeholders, Legal Counsel
About the company
Ventient currently employs around 60 people in Edinburgh, Madrid and Luxembourg and has a portfolio of over 2.5GW of installed capacity across 134 sites in Belgium, France, Germany, Portugal, Spain and the UK.
We believe in people, high performance, safety, innovation, and respect of the environment.
We offer a supportive, dynamic and team-focused environment for our people to develop their skills, while enjoying a rewarding professional career in renewable energy.
A significant role within a busy and expanding legal team, with a strong focus on the management and development of a portfolio of operational windfarms.
The position requires and provides for the development of a wide range of legal, management and communication skills through (i) assistance with all types of legal work, but particularly from a commercial contract and corporate point of view and (ii) the management of external stakeholders and legal counsel, and (iii) the provision of advice to internal stakeholders on all legal, risk, compliance, ESG and regulatory matters.
- Provide timely and relevant legal and strategic advice as legal lead to other teams within the Ventient business in relation to onshore wind projects to ensure successful operations.
- Anticipate legal and / or business impacts whilst providing commercially appropriate solutions to complex issues.
- Draft, negotiate and advise on a range of project contracts (including power purchase agreements, maintenance contracts and operational management contracts) and manage a variety of complex legal services as required.
- Contribute to the creation and maintenance of key corporate and legal documentation, including precedent legal documents, database and physical signed contracts.
- Help to create and implement legal strategies, group policies and procedures and governance solutions consistent with the long-term interests of the company, together with the implementation of shareholder portfolio level policies.
- Manage the engagement of external legal providers within budget and required timescales, providing an interface between external providers and internal commercial and technical teams.
- Develop and enhance the company’s ability to identify and understand contractual, commercial and legal risks and issues at an early stage and use best practice and cost-effective solutions to consistently manage and resolve those risks and issues.
- Maintain an up-to-date and comprehensive knowledge of developments in relevant legislation and regulation and advise senior management on the same.
- Assistance with company secretarial duties for the company as required.
Qualifications, training & professional memberships
- 3 – 4 years PQE experience in a busy corporate / project team.
- Degree or equivalent
- Experience in the renewables / power sector and a solid understanding of the processes.
- Strong technical knowledge of commercial legal contracts, key points and structure.
- Good drafting and negotiation skills.
- Good working knowledge of standard office technology and legal database systems.
- Familiarity with company secretarial type work.
Skills & knowledge
- Good commercial awareness and ability to liaise with different members of the business.
- A willingness to provide solutions, and to expand expertise.
Competencies & behaviours
- Good team player, able to build trust within the team and the wider business.
- A flexible approach to working hours.
- Dedication to achieving both personal and team goals and a drive to succeed.
- Proactive, autonomous and adaptable.
Ventient Energy is an equal opportunities employer. All applicants will be considered for employment and will not be discriminated against on any of the nine protected characteristics defined under The Equality Act 2010.