About the Company
Ventient Energy Ltd, one of the UK’s largest generator of onshore wind energy, and the largest non-utility owner of onshore wind. With 34 wind farms located from Caithness to Cornwall, comprising 509 turbines and 690MW of installed capacity, Ventient Energy supplies the equivalent of 420,000 homes annually, offsetting 0.75 million tonnes of CO2 equivalent a year. The company was formed by combining the Zephyr portfolio of 15 wind farms with 19 wind farms that were formerly owned by Infinis, with the entire portfolio of wind farms now owned by institutional investors advised by JP Morgan Asset Management. The company Headquarters are in Edinburgh where most of its staff are located. Staff who support our wind farm assets are located throughout the UK in regions within close proximity to the wind farms. Current headcount is approximately 40 people.
- Position Title: Mechanical Engineer
- Reporting To: Lead Mechanical Engineer
- Department: Technical
- Key Contacts: Technical Director, Technical Manager, Asset Management, Commercial and Procurement Manager, Operational Analysts, Health and Safety, manufacturers and service providers
- Location: Edinburgh (Primarily based in Edinburgh, however regular travel across the UK to portfolio sites and for meetings with contractors/suppliers will be required. There may also be occasional travel to Europe for training, meetings, factory visits, etc.)
- Direct Reports: N/A
- Role Type: Permanent
- Work Pattern: Full Time - Monday to Friday
The Mechanical Engineer will support the delivery of safe, efficient and reliable operation across the portfolio. Working closely with the wider Technical Department and Asset Management team, the Mechanical Engineer will provide support on Wind Power Plant assets to maximise performance, availability and production.
- Work with Lead Mechanical Engineer and Health, Safety, Quality and Environmental (HSQE) management to achieve the highest level of safety across the portfolio ensuring all relevant industry standards and guidelines are complied with.
- Participate in asset inspection activities to identify any potential operational or health and safety issues.
- In conjunction with the Commercial and Procurement Manager and the Engineering team, specify replacement parts and services and support installation in conjunction with service providers and relevant Asset Manager.
- Identify and assess relevant contractors and work with the Commercial and Procurement Manager to negotiate scope of services and commercial terms. Manage contractors following contract completion.
- Support the Performance Improvement workstream through the application of upgrades, modifications and novel operational methods by identifying and managing / participating in performance improvement initiatives from project conception to delivery.
- Support the Engineering Life Extension workstream by working with internal and external parties to analyse and confirm that the design and condition of assets are satisfactory for safe extended operation. Ensure that key recommendations from the output of each project are carried out to inform O&M strategy, performance improvement and spares and supply chain strategy.
- Support the Blade Monitoring and Repair Strategy through the review and categorisation of blade inspection reports and by supporting the Asset Management team with the rectification of defects.
- Support the Drivetrain Monitoring strategy by reviewing condition monitoring reports (vibration, oil, grease) and supporting the Asset Management team to rectify defects.
- Lead fault / failure investigations working to develop Root Cause Analysis reports with manufacturers / independent service providers by following approved RCA methodology, ensuring findings and recommendations are implemented across the portfolio.
- Play a key role in ensuring asset configuration control by conducting/assessing Engineering Change Requests and presenting to Senior Management for approval.
Qualifications, Training & Professional Memberships:
- Masters degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent with demonstrable experience in the field of Mechanical Engineering.
- Achieved or working towards chartership with IMechE.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Strong understanding and demonstrable experience of working with Wind Power Plant and the associated mechanical subsystems and components is essential
- Knowledge and experience of wind turbine power performance analysis
- Knowledge of conditioning monitoring techniques, technologies and analysis
- Knowledge of mechanical inspection and testing techniques and analysis
- Strong commercial awareness
- Experience of managing contractors
- Experience of working in the Wind Industry essential
- Confident team member who is motivated to work on their own initiative.
- High level of computing literacy is essential
- Strong interpersonal including both verbal and written communication skills are essential
- Excellent analytical skills and attention to detail, methodical mind with the ability to combine innovative thinking with a solutions-orientated approach
- Ability to manage multiple projects to programme and budget
- Ability to make effective decisions in pressured situations