About the Company
Ventient is a leading non-utility generator of onshore wind energy in Europe, focused on long-term sustainable growth through asset acquisition, unrivalled know-how in asset management and operation and conscious ESG choices.
We’re maximising returns for investors through the experienced, efficient and sustainable management and operation of our assets. Our sustainable growth is driven by our passions for the people, the environment, and excellent environmental, social and governance policies and practices across the whole business.
Our financial strength and industry experience allow flexible and innovative approaches to asset operation and M&A.
Our exceptional operational skills allow us to successfully operate assets of any age, to maximize safe energy production and asset life. We are committed to building collaborative relationships with our partners, ensuring the safest environment possible for everyone to operate and to deliver outstanding results.
Ventient currently employs around 60 people in Edinburgh, Madrid and Luxembourg and has a portfolio of over 2GW of installed capacity across 100 sites in Belgium, France, Germany, Portugal, Spain and the UK.
- Position Title: Mechanical Engineer
- Reporting To: Lead Mechanical Engineer
- Department: Technical
- Key Contacts: Technical Director, Asset Management, Commercial and Procurement Manager, Operational Analysts, Health and Safety, Manufacturers and Service providers
- Location: Edinburgh
- Direct Reports: N/A
- Role Type: Permanent
- Work Pattern: Full Time - Monday to Friday
The Mechanical Engineer will act as a Wind Turbine Technical Expert, focusing on the mechanical integrity and life extension of ~2GW of wind power plant. You will sit within a team of Engineers responsible for the risk management and resolution of complex technical problems. You will work closely with 3rd party contractors and Asset Management teams across Europe to support the delivery of safe, efficient, and reliable operation across the portfolio. You will be encouraged and supported to develop bespoke improvement projects which deliver measurable change to the portfolio.
- Work with Lead Mechanical Engineer and Health, Safety, Quality and Environmental (HSQE) management to achieve the highest level of safety across the portfolio ensuring all relevant industry standards and guidelines are complied with.
- Proactively lead the Engineering Life Extension workstream by working with internal and external parties to analyse and confirm that the design and condition of assets are satisfactory for safe extended operation.
- Lead the implementation of recommendations from each life extension project and ensure findings are used to inform O&M strategy, performance improvement, and spares and supply chain strategy.
- Develop, implement and lead a structural health programme for all wind energy assets, working to align structural health with asset life targets.
- Develop, implement and lead a wind turbine foundation monitoring strategy.
- Lead root cause of failure investigations for wind turbine component failures, working with the appropriate subcontractors to deliver clear recommendations and remedial actions required to ensure safe operations.
- Specify, lead and in some cases participate in asset inspection activities to identify any potential operational or health and safety issues.
- Specify and project manage remedial works to return assets to service.
- In conjunction with the Commercial and Procurement Manager and the Engineering team, specify replacement parts and services and support installation in conjunction with service providers and Asset Management.
- Identify and assess relevant contractors and work with the Commercial and Procurement Manager to negotiate scope of services and commercial terms. Manage contractors following contract completion.
- Play a key role in ensuring asset configuration control by conducting/assessing Engineering Change Requests and presenting to Senior Management for approval.
Qualifications, Training & Professional Memberships
- Masters degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent with demonstrable experience in the field of Mechanical Engineering.
- Achieved or working towards Chartership with IMechE.
- Strong understanding and demonstrable experience of working with Wind Power Plant and the associated mechanical subsystems and components.
- Demonstrable Project Management experience of delivering multiple complex technical projects simultaneously, to schedule and budget.
- Knowledge and experience of completing Root Cause Analysis.
- Knowledge of Mechanical Inspection and testing techniques for metallic and composite materials.
- Good commercial awareness and experience in the negotiation of technical work packages.
- Knowledge of Aeroelastic Modelling of wind turbines.
- Understanding of the effect of different wind conditions on the loading of wind turbines.
- Self-starter who can navigate through uncertainty to deliver results.
- Adaptable and quick to adjust to new people, equipment and processes.
- Confident and articulate communicator who can explain complex engineering problems in non-technical language.
- Self-assured and effective Project Manager, with an ability to proactively identify and mitigate project risks.
- An effective team member who can support in the delivery of cross-functional work scopes
- Strong interpersonal including both verbal and written communication skills are essential.
- Excellent analytical skills and attention to detail, methodical mind with the ability to combine innovative thinking with a solutions-orientated approach.
- Ability to make effective decisions in pressured situations.
- High level of computing literacy is essential.