Regional Asset Manager
About the Company
Ventient Energy is a renewable energy group, currently focussed in onshore wind energy. We’re already one of the largest independent generators of onshore wind energy in Europe with 1.9GW of installed capacity across 103 wind farms in Belgium, France, Germany, Portugal, Spain and the United Kingdom, with plans to continue growing our portfolio of high-quality assets.
Ventient Energy is part of a portfolio of renewable companies who are owned by an Infrastructure Investment Fund, advised by JP Morgan Asset Management. We take a long-term outlook on the ownership, operation and growth of our company which is driven by the needs of our stakeholders.
At Ventient Energy, we work hard to optimise operational excellence, delivering strong financial results while ensuring the highest levels of health and safety performance.
Our company headquarters is in Edinburgh, where the majority of our staff are located. Staff who support our UK wind farm assets are located throughout the UK in regions within close proximity to the wind farms. Our current head count is approximately 50 people.
- Position Title: Regional Asset Manager
- Reporting To: Director of Asset Management
- Department: Asset Management
- Key Contacts: Asset Managers, Engineering, Control Centre, Procurement & Commercial Manager, External Contractors
- Location: Remote Working
- Direct Reports: Asset Managers
- Role Type: Permanent
- Work Pattern: Full Time - Monday to Friday
As a member of the Asset Management Team and reporting to the Director of Asset Manager. You will have line management responsibility of a Regional Asset Management team and be accountable for the supervision, management and performance delivery of this Region. As the Regional Asset Manager (RAM), you will have direct responsibility for representing the Ventient Energy Asset Management interests, whilst interfacing with various stakeholders, both internal and external.
You will lead the operational strategy of pro-active maintenance within the region, focusing on delivery of safe optimal technical and commercial performance, maximising profit from the wind farm assets, ensuring annual budgets are generated for each site that reflect the operating strategy for the region and aligned to the company business plan. You will develop your team through coaching and mentoring to ensure these behaviours are replicated throughout the region.
Responsible for the line management of a team of Asset Managers across a portfolio of wind farms in the UK. As a line manager, you will undertake all necessary line management duties.
- Provide development analysis and support through coaching and mentoring where required.
- Responsible for delivery of the regional technical and financial performance targets, ensuring action plans are identified and implemented for areas of under performance
- Regular performance dialogue and feedback to the team
- Responsible for ensuring all Asset Managers remain trained in first aid, working at height and all other mandatory periodic training.
You will be responsible for the Safety of all persons and works in your region, ensuring all works are performed to the appropriate Regulations or Legislation. Through managing your team of Asset Managers, you will have:
- Responsibility for the effective Health, Safety, Quality and Environmental standards across the portfolio of wind farms under your management.
- Ensure overall responsibility for putting people to work on site, ensuring that all persons accessing and working across the wind farms have adequate site inductions, the necessary competencies and documentation to perform the works
- Ensure the application of the necessary Safety Rules and other health and safety management systems are implemented and adhered to across the wind farms
- Ensure that there are regular audit and inspections of contractors on site, ensuring compliance against the necessary regulations and legislations
- Ensure that all Safety incidents are documented in the necessary time frame. Where required, incidents are investigated, providing conclusions with recommendations where appropriate
- Emergency planning across the wind farms under your management, with regular exercises to prove the effectiveness of this planning
Accountable for delivery of works on site to a defined budget. All works will be delivered safely to a high quality whilst maximising profit. Through management of your asset management team, you will be responsible for:
- Driving the commercial performance of the wind farms, looking to maximise generation and reduce operational expenditures through effective management of your asset management team
- Where downtime occurs, you will ensure your team identify and correct under performance through engagement with the key contractors, utilising specialist support from colleagues within Ventient leading to improvement in the operational performance.
- Operating the plant within the regional portfolio with a heavy focus on delivering increased profit to the business
- Generating accurate budget on an annual basis for all Operating and Capital expenditure across the site
- Operating the wind farms within your control in line with the above budgetary expectations.
- Managing and understanding the budgets, identifying and communicating all variances to the proposed site budget
- Regular reviewing of the budget, providing re-forecasting costs at regular intervals through the operating year
- Focus on delivery of Performance improvements designed to improve the profitability of the wind farm with no impact on Safety or Quality
Your team are responsible for operating the plant to high levels of safety and quality. Ensuring that all wind farms operate to Best Practice, through focus on technical availability of the wind turbines to maximise generation output.
- You will ensure that all wind farms within your region operate to Best Practice, focusing on high levels of technical availability, whilst maximising the generation output of each wind turbine
- Identify the risks that could impact achieving performance targets and implement mitigations to prevent the risks occurring
- Carry out regular checks and inspections on all contractors to ensure that their activities are being completed safely and to a high standard as required by internal requirements, any statutory needs and / or best practice benchmarks.
- Achieve authorisation under the Ventient Energy HV Safety Rules as a Senior Authorised Person and have responsibility of undertaking and controlling switching activities on site.
- Co-ordinate component exchanges, ensuring they are done safely and efficiently, minimising the impact of lost generation through effective works planning and implementation
- Investigate major outages to develop lessons learnt to prevent re-occurrence
You will ensure your team are managing all contractors to deliver a high standard of performance, works are completed in line with the scheduled plan and to a high quality. Delivering a professional approach during all stakeholder engagement requirements.
- Ensure scheduled work plans are implemented for all sites under your control, having a focus on maximising generation of each wind turbine
- Ensuring that the activities of all contractors across the wind farms are carried out in a timely, safe manner and in alignment to the contract
- Ensuring that good working relationships are maintained with key stake holders i.e. Landowners and Community Funds through regular communication and liaison.
- Regular contractor audits are fulfilled to ensure governance against contract deliverables are maintained
- Performance management is regularly reviewed and discussed with the contractors on site, highlighting improvement areas where required
- Procurement of works will be in line with company procedures, ensuring timely payment of all invoices
- Project management of works on site to ensure that they come in on time and in budget with limited effect on site performance
- Production of an Operational monthly report, detailing Asset Management activities and performance on each site.
- Working closely with the Operational Analysts to ensure that any turbine performance issues are identified, discussed with and ultimately addressed by the turbine services providers.
- Generation of written business cases to support initiatives
Skills and Attributes
- Strong commercial bias, focussed on optimising the commercial performance of the wind farms in your region
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to line manage a remote team. Appraising and developing skillsets where required
- An excellent HSEQ culture showing a good level of knowledge across the HSEQ legislations and regulations followed on an operating wind farm
- Excellent scheduling and planning skills to ensure that actions / tasks are performed and completed in a timely manner.
- Previous experience of the operation and maintenance of HV / LV electrical plant is a pre-requisite, as the role will encompass HV switching operations.
- An excellent level of commercial and financial knowledge, given that you will have responsibility of the P&L budgets across several wind farms within the region
- A good level of personal fitness for the safe climbing of the wind turbines
Ventient Energy is an equal opportunities employer. All applicants will be considered for employment and will not be discriminated against on any of the nine protected characteristics defined under The Equality Act 2010.