- Position Title: Energy Director
- Reporting To: CEO
- Department: Commercial
- Key Contacts: CFO, COO, Executive Team, Senior Management Team, Commercial and Legal Teams
- Location: Edinburgh
- Direct Reports: N/A
- Role Type: Permanent
- Work Pattern: Full Time - Monday to Friday
About the Company
Ventient Energy is a renewable energy group, currently focussed in onshore wind energy. We’re already one of the largest independent generators of onshore wind energy in Europe with 1.9GW of installed capacity across 103 wind farms in Belgium, France, Germany, Portugal, Spain and the United Kingdom, with plans to continue growing our portfolio of high-quality assets.
Ventient Energy is part of a portfolio of renewable companies who are owned by an Infrastructure Investment Fund, advised by JP Morgan Asset Management. We take a long-term outlook on the ownership, operation and growth of our company which is driven by the needs of our stakeholders.
At Ventient Energy, we work hard to optimise operational excellence, delivering strong financial results while ensuring the highest levels of health and safety performance.
Our company headquarters is in Edinburgh, where the majority of our staff are located. Staff who support our UK wind farm assets are located throughout the UK in regions within close proximity to the wind farms. Our current head count is approximately 50 people.
Reporting to the CEO and as a member of the Senior Management Team, continual management, for value and risk, of the commercial energy, regulatory and related market exposure and opportunity, which underpin Ventient’s portfolio energy revenue and grid costs exposure and business development activities.
- Providing and executing clear short, medium and long term tactical and strategic analysis of the value and risk exposure to energy revenue
- Supporting business development team assessment of the entire business development cycle (from origination through to investment), value and risk exposure arising from current and potential energy, regulatory and related market characteristics
- Working with CEO and Board to ensure clarity of strategy, decision making and execution in relation to energy, regulation and markets
- Relating analysis of energy, market and regulatory risk environments to opportunities to generate both new investment platforms and new potential co-location of complementary technologies (e.g. solar, battery storage) and other opportunities arising from our wide-ranging European energy portfolio
- Supporting the efficient use of third parties to provide high value adding advice in support of the above
- Building networks through in-house and third-party groups to ensure maximisation of regulatory input into decision making processes, and management of relationships with key external stakeholders including applicable regulatory bodies (e.g. Ofgem) in target markets
- Working with planning personnel to provide relevant commercial, regulatory and related market input which may support planning work undertaken in support of development
- Leadership of the already well functioning two person regulatory and commercial energy team
- Membership of the risk committee
- Supporting evolution of the strategic plan for the business minimising the Value at Risk (“VaR”) whilst optimising the Net Asset Value (“NAV”) of the portfolio.
- Lead the commercial process for the implementation of new Power Purchase Agreements (“PPAs”) across the whole portfolio. Working with the Procurement & Commercial manager, oversee the tender process, commercial negotiations and ensure the successful deployment of new PPAs, that optimise NAV, minimise VaR and fulfils all obligations with existing finance facilities.
- Review opportunities for potential commercial structures including existing PPAs, corporate PPAs and intermediary products that optimise portfolio performance.
- Investment insight and techniques
- Energy generation agreements, PPA and other
- International, across European energy markets; including ideally all Ventient current markets; UK and Iberia at a minimum
- Understanding of European market risk profiles
- Comfort with regulatory market risk exposure, rationalisation
- Levering third parties for maximum risk mitigation and value add
Ventient Energy is an equal opportunities employer. All applicants will be considered for employment and will not be discriminated against on any of the nine protected characteristics defined under The Equality Act 2010.