- Position Title: Strategy Director
- Reporting To: CEO
- Department: Corporate/Business Support
- Key Contacts: CEO, Executive Team, Senior Management Team, Commercial and Legal Teams
- Location: Edinburgh
- Direct Reports: N/A
- Role Type: Permanent
- Work Pattern: Full Time - Monday to Friday
About the Company
Ventient Energy Ltd is one of the UK’s largest generator of onshore wind energy, and by Q4 2019 following the restructuring of its wider group, one of Europe’s largest non-utility-owned wind farm groups. With 34 wind farms located from Caithness to Cornwall, comprising 509 turbines and 690MW of installed capacity, and a further 1.1GW of wind generation to come under management in five additional European countries Ventient Energy will supply the equivalent of 1.1 million homes annually, offsetting 1.9 million tonnes of CO2 equivalent a year. The entire portfolio of wind farms is owned by institutional investors advised by JP Morgan Asset Management. The company Headquarters are in Edinburgh where most of its staff are located. Staff who support our wind farm assets both directly as employees and under contract as third-party operators are located throughout the six countries of UK, France, Germany, Belgium, Spain and Portugal. Current employee headcount is approximately 48 people.
Reflecting the increased scope of the company, Ventient is recruiting in several areas and going through organised change and growth, providing significant opportunity for ambitious and talented people.
This role will drive strategic and inorganic growth of the company as judged by total shareholder return and value at risk. This will be through development of growth plans in existing and new markets, as well as potentially involvement in leadership and support roles in various internal initiatives aimed at improving organic growth and cross business ‘total company literacy’. A member of the Senior Management Team, reporting to the CEO and working closely with the Executive Team, this exciting and pivotal role will bring together the intelligence underpinning growth and value at risk targets.
- Working closely with the CEO develop the 5-year strategic plan ensuring performance, value and risk are aligned in delivery, and ensuring this is both produced and delivered in co-operation with the component teams of the business. This will most likely take the form of execution and implementation of the Fund’s ‘Unified Framework’ for corporate governance and management information
- Ownership of Board and Investment Sub-Committee papers on behalf of the CEO
- Support the CEO in the delivery of strategic objectives through the identification of systems, process and skills to medium to long term strategic objectives
- As an internal consultant lead key internal or external projects that cut across several functional areas of the business.
- As a foil to the Performance Improvement Engineers, Asset Management Team and other operational teams, ensure alignment of operational and strategic plans
- Through deep and broad sector knowledge in Wind and investment scan the horizon for opportunities in existing and new markets including competitor analysis and knowledge of the regulatory and political landscape.
- Translate strategy into actionable and meaningful plans at operational level to enable the delivery of annual strategic objectives
- Support those holding principal responsibility for M&A and integration of newly acquired businesses to ensure successful short and medium-term performance.
- Leadership of commercial energy sales strategy and where appropriate execution, as may include depending on the skill set of the individual, management of personnel in this area. Potentially also regulatory strategy.
- Support/initiate bench-marking exercises which will be aimed at identifying VAR and process improvement in key areas of the business.
- Monitor and report on the delivery of the strategic plan through the ‘Unified Framework’
- Significant experience of Wind operations and investment management
- M&A transaction and integration experience
- International corporate markets experience
- Performance improvement of existing energy portfolios
- Energy sales and regulatory experience
- Exemplary verbal and written communication skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Experience of working across disciplines and delivery of shareholder value
- Systems roll out experience
- Excellent relationship building skills
- Experience of facilitating and implementing change programmes
Ventient Energy is an equal opportunities employer. All applicants will be considered for employment and will not be discriminated against on any of the nine protected characteristics defined under The Equality Act 2010.