About the Company
Ventient Energy Ltd, one of the UK’s largest generator of onshore wind energy, and the largest non-utility owner of onshore wind. With 34 wind farms located from Caithness to Cornwall, comprising 509 turbines and 690MW of installed capacity, Ventient Energy supplies the equivalent of 420,000 homes annually, offsetting 0.75 million tonnes of CO2 equivalent a year. The company was formed by combining the Zephyr portfolio of 15 wind farms with 19 wind farms that were formerly owned by Infinis, with the entire portfolio of wind farms now owned by institutional investors advised by JP Morgan Asset Management. The company Headquarters are in Edinburgh where most of its staff are located. Staff who support our wind farm assets are located throughout the UK in regions within close proximity to the wind farms. Current headcount is approximately 40 people.
- Position Title: Tax Director
- Reporting To: CFO
- Department: Finance
- Key Contacts: CFO, Financial Controller, CEO, Board
- Location: Edinburgh
- Direct Reports: N/A
- Role Type: Permanent
- Work Pattern: Full Time - Monday to Friday
Reporting to the CFO, the Tax Director will have responsibility for managing the Group Tax compliance and advisory for both the UK and Europe. This role is based in Edinburgh where the Tax Director will work with our UK assets as well as new geographies in Europe as our business continues to grow.
- Provide/manage commercially astute, strategic and technically accurate tax advice on all major issues, strategic projects and transactions to support the business growth agenda
- Optimise / minimise taxes across the Ventient group of companies
- Ensuring a consistent and effective approach to tax risk management.
- Foster and maintain effective and collaborative relationships with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders across functions and/or entire organisation, including external advisors
- Communication and presentation of all tax issues to stakeholders
- Provide tax sign off on any investment papers presented to the Board
- Undertake research into new countries and advising on suitable structures’
- Advise the leadership of the impact of relevant new or proposed legislation, decisions, regulations and rulings in tax and related areas
- Assess tax implications of controlled entity additions, deletions, directorships etc
- Ensuring group adheres to necessary UK and European tax regulatory filing requirements
- Responsible for producing and communicating the accounting tax position on a timely and accurate basis
- Tax reporting and forecasting
- Liaising and negotiating with HMRC
- Establishing tax policy for the Group
- In-sourcing tax compliance from current advisors
- Designing and embedding appropriate tax related processes and controls
- Review and maintain transfer pricing files for all relevant UK companies (and potentially EU companies).
Qualifications, Training & Professional Memberships:
- Qualified accountant (CA, ACA, ACCA, CIMA) or Tax Advisor (CTA, ITP)
- Experience of the Energy/Renewables Sector
- A working knowledge of other taxes (e.g. PAYE/NIC and VAT)
- Experience of M&A transactions
- Experience of working with both UK and International tax authorities
- Advanced tax technical subject matter knowledge, including extensive UK Corporate Tax experience – advisory and compliance
- Extensive experience providing tax advice to a multi-national company (including European entities) whether it be in-house or within practice
- Commercial focus focused on delivering solutions and results.
- Highly motivated, conscientious and energetic
- High tolerance for change and ambiguity, embraces change as opportunity.
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to make the complex issues simple in pursuit of clear deliverables.
- Excellent relationship building skills
- Ability to work with cross-functional teams including Financial Control, Treasury and Modelling.
- Must have a demonstrated hands-on approach and success in working in a team-based environment.