A POSITIVE FORCE
Ventient exists to achieve one overriding goal. We aim to generate renewable energy and secure the future of people and the planet. But our purpose goes wider and deeper. We strive to be a positive force to the communities we work in, and to society in general. We work in four key areas, chosen to reflect our company values:
- Equal opportunities and gender equality
- Climate change awareness
- Business performance and innovation
- Quality education
Recognising our efforts, Ventient Energy retained its five-star rating and attained Sector Lead status with GRESB – the environmental, social and governance (ESG) benchmark for real estate and infrastructure investments across the world. GRESB works in collaboration with industries to provide standardised and validated ESG for infrastructure businesses including the renewables sector. Ventient Energy sustained a high profile within the GRESB reporting process and achieved a five star rating from GRESB.
Sustainability is our goal. Alongside our core work to generate more renewables, we’re constantly looking for ways to reduce the environmental impact of our daily activities.
Every drop counts
We’re making water go further on our sites. In 2019 we trialled a filter system, allowing us to collect rainwater and make it drinkable. Besides cutting water consumption, this will improve our impact on CO2 emissions, by minimising road delivery of drinking water. So far, 60% of our UK sites are harvesting rainwater. We’re looking to extend the trial to our sites across Europe.
Less fuel, less plastic
The entire car fleets of the teams looking after our assets in Spain, France and Belgium are all-electric – minimising CO2 emissions. All Ventient offices have banned single-use plastic, our kitchens are equipped to avoid generating plastic waste and we partner with local catering companies that allow us to send back any plastic container for re-use.
Our social commitment
Ventient plays an active part in our windfarms’ local communities. We also support national initiatives that chime with our values, through donations and our teams’ voluntary work.
For us safety is a duty towards people. We are committed to create a healthy and safe environment for our people, our partners and our communities. That’s why we have created the Safety Report Scheme. Our team and partners are called to consistently and carefully assess health and safety throughout all their operations. Any detection of a health and safety improvement need is reported back. Each report becomes a donation to our chosen charities.
Community Benefit Fund
In 2019 we contributed over £1.7m to local initiatives. The funds helped to improve services and facilities for people in 35 local communities, and contributed to environmental, cultural and educational activities.
During the covid-19 pandemic, we also supported local food banks with donations for vulnerable people and those who were self-isolating.
‘I am bowled over. I haven’t been able to get a supermarket delivery slot so I am really grateful.’
‘Thank you very much – I can’t get out due to the virus and I’m ever so pleased – it’s lovely.’
Causes we champion
We believe that everyone should have the same opportunities. We are aware that sometimes people with difficult background and disabilities are left behind and struggle to be given the chance to become who they want.
That’s why this year we’re proud to support Lightyear Foundation in its amazing work: breaking down barriers to enable disabled children to discover science, technology, engineering and maths subjects.
We also support the fantastic efforts of Changing Lives. Like us, this charity believes that anyone can change their life for the better, given the right support. By focusing on their strengths and potential, Changing Lives helps more than 14,000 people every year to live safely, successfully and independently.
Ventient Energy is committed to the highest standards of corporate governance and the company’s board of directors is composed of expert professionals with a vast range of experience, including energy, finance, M&A, and governance. This ensures that high standards are set for the Company, its employees and officers with an aim to foster a culture of performance, transparency, and accountability.
Being a responsible business means maintaining fair and effective business practices. We’ve implemented strong governance practices to ensure that our business is conducted to the highest standards of honesty and integrity while complying with all legal and regulatory requirements. Our Code of Ethics stipulates the minimum ethical standards of conduct we expect from our employees, affiliates of the company as well as third party contractors providing services to the company. These standards include the following:
- ensure the health and safety of employees, contractors and guests
- create and maintain a tolerant workplace free from discrimination and harassment
- ensure a clean, safe and healthy environment in all practices
- know and comply with all laws and regulations applicable to your position
- ensure that all business transactions are properly authorized, that the books and records of the Company are complete and accurate and that the Company provides complete and accurate disclosure to its shareholders and government authorities
- avoid situations in which your personal interests conflict or appear to conflict with the interests of the Company
- protect the confidentiality of non-public information concerning the Company and its customers, contractors and shareholders
- not make promises, payments or authorise any gifts or anything of value on behalf of the Company, whether directly or indirectly, to government officials to obtain or retain business
- comply with all applicable Company policies, including those that bar personal or corporate political contributions intended to influence investment decisions by pension funds
- exhibit personal behaviour, both inside and outside of the workplace, which is consistent with and reinforces a positive public image of the Company.
Through our Whistleblowing procedure, Ventient Energy maintains a reporting hotline to report suspected unethical, illegal or unsafe behaviour. The reporting hotline can be accessed at wrs.expolink.co.uk/ventientenergy.